To fully grasp the significance of the routine application of wire rope lubrication throughout the life of stranded or fully locked coil hoisting ropes it is essential to study the role of the fluid as per industry experts Viper Wrl, here are the reasons.
- A) Every cable in the wire rope construction must be as free as it can from wires that are adjacent to it so that it can be moved to take in its share of the different tensions it will have to endure. This is particularly important in the event that the rope will be moving at high speeds and/or under the extreme tensions that are caused by wire contact when hoisting. Rope design is designed to minimize frictional contact, but only through the use of lubrication techniques that are effective can this goal be achieved.
(b) A majority of hoist ropes used in shafts are susceptible to corrosion due to one reason or the other. Shaft water with high levels of salt chemicals, chemical fumes, as well as upcast shafts that produce condensation are among the most notable factors. Whatever the reason it is crucial to prevent or limit the likelihood of corrosive attack against the steel. The experience has proven that galvanized wire is not completely efficient because the coating soon disappears. It is therefore evident that lubricants in-service must have these qualities:
- Permit easily to penetrate the rope.
- Remove moisture from the surface both on the inside and outside.
- Offer adequate corrosion protection, both externally and internally.
- Be insensitive to the emulsification.
- Possess excellent qualities for rope glue.
- Resist removal using mechanical force.
- Have good anti-wear properties.
- be compatible with the oil currently used during the production of rope.
Why is lubricant important?
In the course of operation the wire rope is exposed to significant forces of bending. The bending forces cause the wires that make up the rope spin against one another, which causes friction. Furthermore, as the wire rope is pushed between the sheaves of wire, frictional forces occur. To increase the life of the rope it is recommended to apply lubricant to lessen the frictional force.
Protection against corrosion?
Although certain lubricants have an advantage of enhanced corrosion protection, the vast majority of fluids used to lower friction offer little in terms of stopping corrosion.
Is Re-lubricate neccesary?
This question will depend mostly on the number of bending cycles that you’d like the rope to be able to handle.
If a rope is likely to undergo only a few bend cycles, the amount of lubrication offered by the manufacturer will likely suffice for the entire duration of the rope. There are instances where this is not the case for instance, when the rope is exposed to extreme conditions.
If the rope will be able to perform a significant number of bending cycles, it is advisable to lubricate the rope for a major gain.
Do you have ropes that aren’t performing?
In certain instances where the rope isn’t performing well there is a lubrication issue that is the primary reason. So, it is suggested inspecting the lubrication condition of the rope, and reporting any issues to your supplier.
Another option is to do the relubrication yourself. There are numerous rope lubrication equipment available that permit you to do this quickly and effectively.
This article will hopefully highlight some advantages of the lubrication of your rope. Lubrication is among the most important elements that affect rope life and must be checked regularly to ensure that the rope is performing as it should.